How do I find employers that are looking for my set of skills and how do I create a great first impression and stand out from other applicants?
Our Career Services team will guide you through the entire job search process — connecting with employers, creating well-written resumes and cover letters, and developing polished interviewing techniques — that work together to create a cohesive professional image.
Connecting with Employers
Here are a few websites designed for job searching.
- VEC (Virginia Employment Commission)
- Commonwealth of Virginia Jobs
- USA Jobs– Work as civilians in the Federal government
- Glassdoor– An inside look at companies’ salaries, reviews, interviews and job openings
- Indeed– one search, all jobs
- Snag-a-Job totally devoted to helping you find your next job!
Health Care Job Search Websites
- Riverside Talent Recruitment Center (healthcare opportunities in the Middle Peninsula and Hampton Roads areas)
- Sentara Healthcare Recruitment Center
Your professional image is not just your outward appearance, but a combination of how you look in addition to behave and communicate. Together, your professional image is a way to give a powerful, lasting impression that you have the professionalism necessary for the job.
- You rarely get a second chance to make a good first impression.
- Studies show employers form an opinion in the first 20 seconds. Don’t let your outward appears keep the employer from seeing what’s on the inside.
- Dress for the job you want, not for the job you have.
According to recent surveys, 70% of surveyed Human Resource workers in the U.S. admitted to rejecting a job applicant because of his or her internet behavior. Do not let this happen to you! Read the article and see how to present yourself professionally should you be “Googled.”
What kind of jobs would best match my skills or interests?
Career Services provides exploration tools that will match your skills and interests to a number of potential careers from which you may choose to explore. Some of the links below are very informative and will take time to assimilate the information.
- Virginia Education Wizard – Let Ginny help you find a career by taking three assessments
- O*NET Online has an abundant amount of information about various careers that you may want to research
- CareerOneStop – Pathways to Career Success helps you get started! You will find links to assess yourself, explore career options, gain skills, find a job, and manage your career
- My Next Move helps you look at the occupations you might want for a future career