On April 10, Rappahannock Community College’s Alpha Lambda Omicron chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa International Honor Society inducted 64 new student members. In order to be invited to join, students must maintain a grade-point average of 3.5 or better. “We celebrated a special group of smart, hardworking students,” says Dr. Donna Alexander, RCC’s vice president of instruction and student development, who delivered the opening remarks.
The featured speaker at the event was the Honorable Michael McKenney, who serves as the presiding judge for the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, 15th Judicial District. Judge McKenney, who is himself the holder of an RCC associate degree, challenged the students to “make a commitment to your community and find ways to continue the legacy of this special place … Strive to do work you can be proud of, and which gives you a sense of service.”
He concluded by urging the students to “fulfill your dreams, and enjoy the trip along the way. Although there will be challenges, there will also be opportunities to have some fun … be willing to take those opportunities.” At the reception following the ceremony, McKenney welcomed the opportunity to meet and talk with the students and their parents.
“How fortunate RCC is,” notes Dr. Alexander, “to have graduated such a fine gentleman, who remains such a strong advocate for the college!”
The Phi Theta Kappa oath of membership was administered by faculty advisor Matthew Brent. These students were inducted:
Charles City County:
- Brandon Little
- Waleed Alashmali, Melissa Benefield, Grete Brummett, Miranda Cochran, Mauro Salazar, Elizabeth Walters
- Mykul Ezefili
- Heather Barnett, Timothy Booth, Ashlee Bristow, Michelle Childers, Ethan Collier, Callie Dunston, Jordan Graham, Christopher Moritz, James Sink, Dezeray Spencer, Sarah White, Stacey Williams
James City County:
- Rachel Muniz
King and Queen County:
- Jessica Smith
- Andrea Gamache, Christin Jaynes, Tabitha Kim, Jordan Smith, Brittany Thompson, Nicholas Willis, Detty Wools
- Margaret George, Melissa Lickey, Willow Pedersen
- Eleanor Beane, Emily Johnson, James Robertson, Amanda Washington
- Amanda Miller, Joshua Sadler, Kathryn Wathen, Melissa Wathen
- Rikki Fletcher, Jerry Peters, Amy Thurston, Brooke Wright
- Rachel Cashin, Alexis Lassiter
- Sharon Adams, Megan Baughan, Roberta Blair, Karianne Chapman, Amber Conley, Michael Cook, Joseph Gaskins, Jonathan Kiss, Tisha Powell, Herbert Pugh, Carlyn Snoddy
- Kayla Gordon, John Grindstaff, Carol Hodges, Alex Kane, Kirsten Self
- John Hemenway, Margaret Hemenway
Phi Theta Kappa is the official honor society for two-year colleges worldwide. Established in 1918, it is today the largest honor society in American higher education, with over 2 million members, and more than 1,200 chapters located in all 50 states, the United States territories, Canada, Germany, and Japan.