- Wordle – Create word clouds from word lists or even papers or publications.
- Google URL Shortener – Although not specifically a VCCS service – it is available for anyone from Google – it can be really useful. The only thing to keep in mind is that to use it, you make the resource publicly searchable (although not publicly accessible). For best results, log into myRCC, then Gmail first, then go here. This will allow you to save a list of all URLs you have associated with shortened addresses and keep track of how many people have used the shortened links.
- Accessing the VPN procedure– remote access to RCC network
- myPassword – Instructions on myPassword user profile setup [PDF]
Tanberg Content Service (TCS)
This is the lecture capture system built into our Interactive Video classrooms. For assistance in setting this up for your class, please contact the IT department at 804-333-36757 (Warsaw) or 804-758-6757 (Glenns) for assistance. Additionally you may also contact Timothy Hoffman (804-333-6786) or Kristy Walker (804-333-6780) for assistance.
To access completed recordings click on or type this address into your browser address bar – http://22.214.171.124/tcs
- Accessing Google Apps– features available to faculty and staff through the myRCC student email account.
- Blackboard – https://learn.vccs.edu – direct link if myRCC portal is down. Login is the same as myRCC.
- VCCS Student Information System – direct link if myRCC portal is down. Login is your EMPLID and the same password used to gain access to myRCC.
SoftChalk is an enhanced tool for creating interactive content in your courses. For the 2014-2015 academic year we can offer a limited pilot of SoftChalk CLOUD, the world’s first learning object repository and content authoring platform for educators. Nothing needs to be installed on your computer, you do need a separate username and password to access this resource.
We have a total of 10 licenses for this year. To receive one, please contact the Technology & Distance Learning office at 804-333-6786. You can also email Tim Hoffman. For the pilot year, we do ask that faculty be willing to act as Peer Mentors and share their accomplishments and lessons learned with other faculty interested in using this product.
Once we help you set up your account, you can sign in to SoftChalk CLOUD with the username and password you select.
SoftChalk has a showcase for examples of lessons that have been created with SoftChalk. Click the “View Lesson” link beside one that interests you to see the lesson as it would appear to students
You can access additional resources from the Help Menu in SoftChalk Cloud Create or from the SoftChalk Support Center at http://support.softchalk.com.
- SoftChalk Cloud User Guide
- SoftChalk Create and SoftChalk 7 User Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- System Alerts
- Short Courses – These one-hour webinars include a presentation and examples, as well as an opportunity for you to ask questions and receive assistance from the instructor. Register from the Help menu in SoftChalk Cloud Create or from the Short Course registration page at http://softchalk.com/learn-more/short-courses
- Video Tutorials – These step-by-step tutorials are focused so you can pick and choose just the ones you need to get your eLearning content online quickly. Tutorials are available at http://softchalk.com/learn-more/video-tutorials.
- Lesson Tutorials – There’s no better way to learn how to use SoftChalk than by taking these online lessons created with SoftChalk. Tutorials are available at http://softchalk.com/learn-more/lesson-tutorials.
- Introductory Webinars – Come see how to start creating materials in SoftChalk, and all that you can do with it. Check out their live webinar calendar: https://softchalk.com/learn-more/webinars/intro-webinars
- Innovators in Online Learning – Learn more about how fellow educators are using SoftChalk in new and innovative ways. Here is the schedule of webinars: https://softchalk.com/learn-more/webinars/innovator
Please note, not only are these webinars offered live – they also archive these for later viewing for those who were not able to attend the original event. Just click on any of the schedule links above to see the archived sessions as well as the upcoming live sessions.