CATALOG: Student Records
It is the student’s responsibility to keep his/her personal information up-to-date. Students can update personal information, except names, using the self-service component of the Student Information System (SIS). Names can be updated in the Admissions and Records Office with official documentation of the name change. Students can also submit address and phone number changes to the Admissions and Records Office on either campus. Updating your name, mailing address, and phone number will assist the college in communicating with you and ensure that you receive important notices and announcements.
A transcript is a copy of the student’s permanent academic record. An official transcript carries the college seal. Students may request a copy of their official transcript be forwarded to other educational institutions, employers, or any person(s) designated by the student. Students must authorize the release of their transcript by either submitting a signed written request or using the transcript link located through myRCC in the Student Information System. There is no fee for transcripts. Generally, transcript requests will be processed within 48 hours. Students may view and print an unofficial transcript via the SIS.
Due to the limitations on access to student information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), telephone, e-mail, and third party requests for transcripts cannot be honored. This includes transcript requests from parents of students. RCC will not release a transcript for any student who has unresolved financial obligations with the College.
FERPA permits institutions to identify certain items of student information as “directory information.” RCC identifies directory information as:
- Student’s Name
- Primary Mailing Address
- Primary Phone Number
- College Email Address
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Grade level
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Number of credit hours enrolled
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
- School officials, as identified by RCC, determined to have a legitimate educational interest
- Officials of other institutions in which the student seeks to enroll
- In connection with financial aid that the student has applied for, or in determining financial aid decisions
- Accrediting organizations, carrying out their accrediting functions
- Parents, as defined in FERPA §99.3, of a student who have established the student’s status as a dependent according to IRS Code of 1986, Section 152
- To comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena
- Persons in an emergency, if the knowledge of information, in fact, is necessary to protect the health or safety of the student or other persons
- If student lives within commuting distance of RCC, the student may be asked to come and view the file at the office rather than receiving a full set of copies of all file contents.
- If the student has an unpaid financial obligation to the College.
- If there is an unresolved disciplinary action against the student. RCC notifies students annually of their Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights through the Catalog and Student Handbook and the RCC website.
Last modified on 09-19-2017