CATALOG: Veterans’ Benefits and Standards of Progress

Veterans’ Benefits

We support our military veterans who are returning to school after service to our nation. Most of RCC’s programs of study are approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for the payment of veteran’s educational benefits.  This institution is approved to offer GI Bill® educational benefits by the Virginia State Approving Agency. Jill Quinlan is RCC’s School Certifying Official who works directly with incoming veterans, and she can be reached at or 804-758-6744.

Questions regarding eligibility for education benefits or VA policies and procedures may also be directed to:

The Department of Veterans Affairs
P.O. Box 4616
Buffalo, NY

Veterans are encouraged to complete the online VA Application through VONAPP. Students using their benefits for the first time must complete the Application for Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990) and provide an original or court-certified copy of their discharge papers (DD-214). Students who believe they are eligible for Chapter 35 dependents’ educational benefits, for spouse or child(ren), should complete an Application for Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (VA Form 22-5490).

Veterans who have used their benefits at another school must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-1995) and, if a spouse or dependent, they must complete a Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (VA Form 22-5495).

Any student using Veterans Education Benefits at Rappahannock Community College should complete and submit a Certification Request for VA Education Benefits form to the Financial Aid Office at either campus.

  • Montgomery G.I. Bill Active Duty (MGIB-AD) Benefits
    A veteran may be eligible to receive MGIB benefits while on active duty or after they have separated from active duty. To find out if you are eligible for education benefits you must apply for benefits through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). (The period of active military service must have terminated under conditions other than dishonorable.) Generally, benefits are payable for 10 years following the veteran’s release from active duty. This program is commonly known as Chapter 30.

NOTE: In order for the college to certify enrollment, a veteran must be officially accepted into a curriculum/program and should provide a receipted copy of the registration form to the Coordinator of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs each semester of enrollment. The processing of enrollment certifications usually occurs after the add/drop period each semester. The student is responsible for advising the college and Veterans Administration of any change in enrollment status or curriculum/program. This is an important responsibility and one which has a direct bearing on the level of payment.

Alert Changed Effective August 1, 2019: VA Delayed Payment Compliance Addendum: A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or chapter 33, Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits.

A covered individual under this new VA Addendum may attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a certificate of eligibility” can also include a “Statement of Benefits” obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs’ (VA) website — eBenefits, or a VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes.

    1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
    2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.
RCC will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33. 
  • Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill
    Go to the GI Bill website for instructions and guidance. If you are a veteran, make sure to complete the VA Form 22-1990 application online if you are applying for benefits for yourself, your spouse, and/or your child(ren). Once the VA Form 22-1990 is completed those veterans wishing to “transfer” their “entitlement” to spouse or child will then be directed to complete the VA FORM 22-1990E (transfer of entitlement) for the spouse and/or child(ren). Once the veteran, spouse, and/or child receive a “Certificate of Eligibility” letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs Office that letter should be submitted immediately to the RCC Veterans Affairs Office.
  • Chapter 31- Vocational Rehabilitation Program
    Students who participate in the Vocational Rehabilitation Program (Chapter 31) will be allowed to charge registration with receipt of VA FORM 28-1905 submitted to the Veterans Affairs Office, Business Office and Bookstore. Additional information may be obtained through the RCC Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs office or the student’s Vocational Rehabilitation Veterans Benefits counselor.
  • Other Programs
    Veterans are advised to review other veteran education benefits programs at online. Other VA programs include Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP), Survivors & Dependents Assistance (DEA/Chapter 35), Veterans Educational Assistance Program (VEAP), Veterans Retraining Assistance Program (VRAP).
  • Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (formally known as the Virginia War Orphans Education Program)
    The Virginia Military Survivors and Dependents Education Program (VMSDEP) provides education benefits to spouses and children of military service members who were killed, missing in action, or taken prisoner, or who become at least 90 percent disabled as a result of military service in an armed conflict. The purpose of this program is to provide undergraduate or other postsecondary education free of tuition and fees. Students may verify eligibility and request applications by contacting the RCC Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office. If possible, applications should be submitted at least four months before the expected date of admission. The Virginia Department of Veterans Services (DVS) will determine eligibility.
  • Veterans Tuition Assistance Program
    In addition to regular monthly benefits, the VA will also pay for tuition assistance for qualified students. Contact the RCC Cashier located in the College Business Office to inquire regarding Tuition Assistance.

NOTE:  Rappahannock Community College provides for the tuition relief, refund, and reinstatement of students whose service in the uniformed services has required their sudden withdrawal or prolonged absence from their enrollment. Refer to the Refunds, Credits, and Reinstatement as a Result of Military Service section of the catalog for more information.

[wpanchor id=”standards”]Veterans Standards of Progress

Students using veterans educational benefits must enroll only in Veterans Administration approved curricula and may only take required prerequisites and courses for the curriculum in which they are officially enrolled. All courses must be taken for credit. Audited courses cannot be taken using VA benefits. Remedial and deficiency/developmental courses offered as distance learning/independent study (online) cannot be approved and cannot be certified to VA. Students who take courses which are not required by the curriculum in which they are enrolled must reimburse the Veterans Administration for benefits received for those courses. Students inquiring about using Veterans Benefits should contact the Coordinator of Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs at RCC to ensure appropriate paperwork has been received.

A curriculum change can be made so long as no significant loss of credit occurs. However, the student should contact the RCC Financial Aid/Veterans Affairs Office to determine if a “change of program” VA form would have to be completed and submitted.

To remain eligible for VA educational benefits, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress. A student who is placed on academic suspension or dismissal will be reported to the VA as making unsatisfactory progress. RCC grading policies will be used to determine whether veterans are maintaining satisfactory progress. The Veterans Affairs Office will also report to the Veterans Administration as soon as possible any change in the status of veterans, whether that is a change of curriculum, reduction or increase in course load, or withdrawal.

[wpanchor id=”changes”]Enrollment changes

When receiving veterans benefits, a student must report any enrollment changes promptly to the Veterans Affairs Office located in the Financial Aid office at RCC. Status changes include change of curriculum, reduction/increase in course load, withdrawal, suspension, dismissal, etc.

Note: Enrollment changes may adjust a student’s entitlement to benefits. Educational benefits will not be given for audited courses or courses from which the eligible student withdraws, is administratively withdrawn, or receives a final grade of “W,” unless the VA finds mitigating circumstances involved in the withdrawal. Also, educational benefits are only available for courses required in the eligible students’ curriculum or those developmental courses required in preparation for meeting curricular requirements.

Last modified on 11-17-2021