CATALOG: Nurse Aide Career Studies Certificate
Length: 9 Credits
To prepare persons for full-time employment as nursing assistants. This short term program is intended to give graduates full proficiency in the skills required to assist with nursing care in nursing homes, hospitals, and supervised home care situations.
Nurse Aide, Home Health Aide.
Applicants must meet the general admission requirements of the college, are enrolled as a RCC student, have completed all developmental coursework, and have submitted a completed Nurse Aide Application.
Students must earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses to be awarded the Career Studies Nurse Aide Certificate.
- Students are responsible for purchasing the required clinical uniforms and name tags through the college’s designated supplier.
- Conviction of a felony, misdemeanor or any offense substantially related to the qualifications, functions and duties of a nurse aide may constitute grounds for not allowing a candidate to take the licensing exam. This decision is made by the State Board of Nursing. For questions regarding this issue, call the Virginia Board of Nursing 804-367-4515.
- Students who are required to perform clinical rotations in cooperating healthcare agencies must be willing and able to conform to all clinical requirements of participating clinical agencies, including but not limited to: criminal background investigation; drug screening; immunizations including seasonal influenza vaccines; Tuberculosis screening; employment verifications; and, successful completion of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification. (CPR certification must be the American Heart Association Certification for HealthCare Providers). Students are responsible for all costs associated with these requirements. It is the responsibility of the student to maintain current records throughout the program. RCC uses a third party vendor screenings and for maintenance of documents. Your instructor will provide you with all details to purchase this service, including deadlines for completion. Nurse Aide students must be in good standing from all previous healthcare employers. Students may be denied clinical placement based on previous work history and thus, cannot be entered into or possibly complete the nurse aide program.
- Students are responsible for following the clinical policy for safe handling of biohazards and utilizing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) in the prevention of blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases. Additionally, students are responsible for employing appropriate ergonomics to prevent injury. Students will be responsible for medical costs for any injury received while in a clinical setting, including injuries for which testing is required by clinical agencies. Rappahannock Community College is not responsible for student injuries in a clinical or lab setting.
- The College does not assume responsibility for accidents/incidents which occur in clinicals; nor does it provide any student health services. The student assumes financial responsibility for accidents/incidents and illnesses requiring medical attention.
|NUR 27||Nurse Aide I||2||3||3|
|NUR 29||Home Health Aide||2||3||3|
|Approved Career Elective 1||3||0||3|
1 Courses used to fulfill this requirement: BIO 141, CST 100, ENG 111, HLT 116 plus SDV 101, HLT 143, HLT 215, HLT 230, ITE 100, ITE 115, ITE 119, MDA 207, MDL 105, NAS 150, NUR 31, NUR 120, PNE 155.
Note: Other courses may be substituted with the approval of the Dean of Health Sciences.
Last modified on 08-30-2019