CATALOG: Baking and Pastry Fundamentals Career Studies Certificate
Effective: Fall 2018
Length: One Semester
To continue to build food production knowledge and increase the skills necessary to advance in the hospitality field. There is continued demand for qualified cooks and food service managers within the restaurant industry, one of the major employers in the College’s service region. The Baking and Pastry Fundamentals program will give students both service and technical education in culinary arts and food service management, which will prepare them to be competent and confident professionals ready to enter and be successful in the industry. The Baking and Pastry Fundamentals Career Studies Certificate is designed to introduce students to a variety of techniques, correct vocabulary and equipment. Students who wish to transfer to a degree program are encouraged to take the necessary general education courses in addition to completing the program content.
Preparation for the following positions: Fry/Sauté Cook, Pantry Cook, Assistant Baker
Admission to the Baking and Pastry Fundamentals Career Studies Certificate program is selective. Students admitted to the program must first complete the following:
- Meet the general admission requirements of the college.
- Prerequisite for HRI 115, 106,128, 281, 282, 283: placement into ENF 2 and MTE 1.
- Maintain professionalism in both course and restaurant settings, especially in attitude and responsibility. If this is not maintained, termination from the program can result.
- Acquire and maintain uniforms and equipment. These items are required and are the responsibility of the student. Instructor will provide specific information at the start of the program.
- The College does not assume responsibility for accidents/incidents which may occur in instructional kitchen or restaurant settings, nor does it provide any student health services. The student assumes financial responsibility for accidents/incidents requiring medical attention.
- Students are required to earn a minimum GPA of 2.0 in the curriculum to be awarded the Career Studies Certificate In Baking and Pastry Fundamentals.
- Portions of the program require off campus Any changes in location will be announced by the program head.
- Attendance is critical. Absences will be excused only in extraordinary circumstances. Students who arrive late twice may be dismissed from the program. Students who are absent twice may be dismissed from the program. Any circumstances affecting attendance must be discussed with the program head.
- Students who satisfactorily complete the program are eligible for externships in regional restaurants. Students will arrange their externships individually with the program head.
|HRI 115||Food Safety Managers and Sanitation Certification||1||0||1|
|HRI 106||Principles of Culinary Arts I-II||2||3||3|
|HRI 128||Principles of Baking||2||3||3|
|HRI 281||Artisan Breads||2||3||3|
|HRI 282||European Tortes and Cakes||2||3||3|
|HRI 283||Custards and Creams||2||3||3|
Credit Total: 16