Montgomery G.I. Bill (Chapter 30 & 1606)

The Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) is available for those who enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces. MGIB encompasses both the Montgomery GI Bill-Active Duty (Chapter 30) and The Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606). A veteran of at least 181 days continuous active duty who was released from active duty within the past ten years or who was released from active duty for a service-connected disability may be entitled to Veterans Administration Educational Assistance. (The period of active military service must have terminated under conditions other than dishonorable.) The veteran must have enlisted before January 1, 1977. Veterans entering after that date come under a different program.

NOTE: In order for the college to certify enrollment, a veteran must be officially accepted into a curriculum and should provide a copy of the registration form to the Financial Aid and Veterans Affairs Officer each term of enrollment. The processing of enrollment certifications usually occurs after the add/drop period each semester. The student is responsible for advising the college and Veterans Administration of any change in enrollment status or curriculum/program. This is an important responsibility and one which has direct bearing on the level of payment.

Watch RCC’s Financial Aid TV videos on:

1. What is the Montgomery GI Bill also known as Chapter 30?

2. Who is eligible for Chapter 30, MGIB benefits?

3. What type of payment can I expect from Chapter 30, MGIB?

4. What is the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment VetSuccess Program (Chapter 31)?

5. Who is eligible for the VetSuccess (Chapter 31) services?

6. What services are provided by the VR&E VetSuccess (Chapter 31) Program?

7. What is the Survivors and Dependents Program (Chapter 35 program) and who qualifies for it?

8. How do I apply for Chapter 35 benefits?

9. What is the Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve MGIB-SR Chapter 1606? Who is eligible for benefits under the program?

10. What is the Montgomery GI Bill – Reserves Educational Assistance Program (REAP) Chapter 1607 program?

11. Who is eligible for REAP (Chapter 1607) benefits?

12. Do I need to certify my enrollment each month? If so, how and when?

Post 9/11 G.I. Bill (Chapter 33)

Go to for instructions and guidance. If you are a veteran, make sure to complete the VA Form 22-1990 application online at if you are applying for benefits for yourself, your spouse, and/or child(ren). Once the VA Form 22-1990 is completed those veterans wishing to “transfer” their “entitlement” to spouse or child will then be directed for their spouse and/or child to complete the VA FORM 22-1990E (transfer of entitlement). Once the veteran, spouse, and/or child receives a “Certificate of Eligibility” letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs Office that letter should be submitted immediately to the RCC Veterans Affairs Office.

Watch RCC’s Financial Aid TV videos on:

1. How many months of assistance can I receive?

2. If I am eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill, how much will I receive?

3. What are the percentages of maximum benefits available?

4. Can you show me a sample of how the Post 9/11 GI Bill could work?

5. What type of education and training does the Post 9/11 GI Bill cover?