Veterans Services

NOTICE: The Department of Veterans Affairs has issued a fraud alert about a marketing scam that is targeting veterans who misdial the VA National Call Center (800-827-1000) or the GI Bill Call Center (888-442-4551) phone numbers. A marketing company created two phone numbers that differ from the real VA numbers by one digit. If a veteran misdials and calls the bogus number, the answering party will offer a gift card and try to obtain sensitive personal data, to include credit card information. Please note that the VA will never ask for credit card or banking information over the phone. The two bogus numbers are 800-872-1000 and 888-442-4511.

RCC Veteran Services is dedicated to helping veterans and their families use their benefits to support their college expenses. We recognize and appreciate the sacrifice of those who have served in the United States Armed Forces, and are most honored to assist you in using your benefits to your best advantage.

Steps on how to use your educational benefits

Step 1: Apply with the VA

Complete the application process at You are encouraged to use the Veterans Online Application (VAONAPP). Please begin the application process about six weeks before the start of classes. If you need help completing the application, we can help!

Step 2: Apply to RCC

Fill out our online application to get admitted to RCC and choose your program and curriculum.

Step 3: Speak with our Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Official

Vickisha Harris
Phone: 804-758-6744

Step 4: Meet with an advisor

An advisor will help you determine whether you will need to take a placement test and help register you for classes. Please call to schedule an appointment.
Glenns Campus – 804-758-6730
Warsaw Campus – 804-333-6730
Certification Request for VA Education Benefits Form

Step 5: Protect your classes

Follow up with Vickisha Harris to make sure that you have college-approved payment arrangements in place so that your classes don’t get dropped.

Step 6: Maintain your eligibility

  • Do not register in courses for which you have previously received a passing grade/credit (even if taken at another institution).
  • Be advised, VA benefits do not cover any courses that are taken on an audit basis and the credits will not be counted in the course load for the purpose of certifying your enrollment. For example, if a student enrolls in 12 credits, three credits of which are taken for audit, it will be considered enrollment in 9 credits for the purpose of VA status.
  • Notify the Veterans’ Affairs Certifying Officer if you:

• change programs,
• alter course load
• withdraw from classes
• add/drop classes
• do not enroll for a term that has been certified
• have exhausted your VA educational benefits
• or change addresses. (An address change must also be reported directly to VA)