Types of Financial Aid

Federal and State Grants | Work Study Program | Scholarships | Other | Web | Transfer Grant

Federal and State Grants
Need-based awards which do not require repayments, such as the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant, College Scholarship Assistance Program, Virginia Student Financial Assistance Program which consists of the Commonwealth of Virginia Grant and Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program, Higher Education Teacher Assistance Program, Part-time Assistance Program, and Supplemental Grant.

Federal Pell Grant (Pell)
Pell Grants are federally funded grants which provide financial assistance to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree. A student must establish financial need, be a U.S. citizen, and be accepted in an eligible curriculum.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants are available to a limited number of undergraduate students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Students completing the FAFSA and qualifying for the Pell grant will be considered for SEOG while funds are available.

College Scholarship Assistance Program (CSAP)
This need-based program provides grants to a limited number of students who are residents of Virginia, who demonstrate sufficient financial need, and are enrolled in at least a half-time basis. This grant may be funded by the Federal Government and/or the state.

Commonwealth of Virginia Grant (COMA)
The COMA state grant is available for students who enroll in at least half-time, demonstrate financial need, be domiciliary residents of Virginia, and meet all other eligibility criteria.

Virginia Guaranteed Assistance Program (VGAP)
The VGAP state grant is available to Virginia residents who graduated from a Virginia high school with a 2.5 GPA or higher. Students must be first-time freshmen enrolled at RCC full-time. Awards may be renewed for a second year for students who have maintained full-time enrollment, a minimum 2.0 GPA or higher at RCC, and continue to demonstrate financial need.

Part-Time Tuition Assistance (PTAP)
PTAP grants are available for students who enroll for 1 to 8 credits only, are residents of Virginia, and demonstrate financial need. The maximum award is the cost of tuition and fees.

Supplemental VCCS Grant (SUPP)
SUPP grants are available for students from tuition set-aside funds. Students, eligible must demonstrate financial need preferred Expected Family Contribution (EFC) under 8000, are residents of Virginia meet the College Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, be degree or certificate seeking, and can maintain any enrollment level.

Federal Work-Study Program
The Federal Work-Study (FWS) is a program that provides part-time jobs for students who demonstrate financial need and are enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) during the Fall and Spring semesters at RCC. Awards are based on a need for which the student must work. Money is earned hourly and paid on a bi-weekly basis through the Federal Work-Study Program. Student class schedules, curriculum, and job skills are considered in assessing jobs.


Scholarships have been established through the generosity of individuals, organizations and corporations to recognize outstanding performances and to assist students in pursuing quality higher education.  Over 100 scholarships totaling approximately $400,000 are available to RCC students.   Scholarships can be combined with federal and state financial aid or used alone to cover the cost of RCC tuition and fees.

Please contact RCC College Scholarship Specialist Beth Robins at 804-333-6708 or by email: brobins@rappahannock.edu, if you would like to sponsor a scholarship or have any questions about applying.

Apply for a RCC Scholarship

Other Sources of Aid
The college offers several programs for special populations:

Virginia Department of Rehabilitative Services
Certain disabled persons may qualify for services and/or financial aid from the Virginia Department of Rehabilitative Services. Consult the financial aid staff or a counselor for referral assistance.

Virginia Foster Care Tuition Grant
The Tuition Grant program provides tuition and fees at any Virginia community college for high school graduates or general education development (GED) completers in foster care, in the custody of a social services agency, or considered a special needs adoption. Awards will be provided to eligible applicants who are not already receiving sufficient grant funds to pay for their tuition and fees. The awards may not exceed tuition and required fees. Students who are already receiving grant funds that cover tuition and fees are not eligible for these awards.  Inquire with the financial aid office for further eligibility criteria.

HOPE Scholarship
The Tax Relief Act of 1997 offers tax credits for tuition and fee payments under certain conditions. Effective January 1, 1998, those paying tuition and fees may be eligible for up to $1,500 in tax credit under the HOPE Scholarship Credit. Only students who are taking at least a half-time load, who are in their first two years of postsecondary education, and who do not have their tuition pay an employer or through grant aid are eligible.

Students should contact a tax expert to find out whether they qualify for this credit.

Web Resources
We offer these other websites for informational purposes only. Students should be aware that the information found at links to other sites “outside” of the RCC website is not within our control, and we cannot guarantee its accuracy. Information can change at any time in the world of financial aid. Remember, applying for financial aid and/or scholarships is FREE. Never pay to apply for Financial Aid and beware of scholarship scams.

Virginia’s Two-Year College Transfer Grant
The Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program makes it easier for eligible RCC students to pay for completing a bachelor’s degree. Students who enter RCC as first-time freshmen in Fall 2007 or later may receive up to $1000 per year when they transfer to a four-year public or private non-profit college or university in Virginia. An additional $1000 per year may be awarded to students enrolled in certain engineering, mathematics, nursing, teaching, or science programs 1.

To be eligible for the Two-Year College Transfer Grant Program, a student must:

  • Be a domiciliary resident of Virginia
  • Enter a Virginia community college as a first-time freshman in Fall 2007 or later 2
  • Earn an associate degree at a Virginia two-year public institution with a final cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
  • Enroll full-time (12 or more credits) in an accredited Virginia four-year public or private non-profit college or university by the fall following completion of the associate degree
  • Enroll in an eligible degree program at the senior institution 3
  • Apply for financial aid and have a maximum Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $8,000 as calculated from the FAFSA.
  • Meet Selective Service requirements

The grant may be renewed as long as students continue to meet domiciliary, academic, and financial need requirements while enrolled at the four-year school. Students are limited to a maximum of three award years or 70 credits at the senior institution whichever comes first.

1 Programs eligible for the additional funding will be identified by SCHEV.
2 This includes students attending college for the first time who enter in the immediately preceding summer term and students who earn college credit prior to graduating from high school.
3 Programs in the 39.xxx series, as classified by the National Center for Education Statistics Classification of Instructional Programs (CIP), provide religious training or theological education and are not approved courses of study.