Dual Enrollment FAQs

  • Saves time and money
  • May shorten the time to college degree completion
  • Gives students early exposure to the academic rigors of a college level course
  • Student is both a high school student and enrolled in college as well (dual enrolled)
  • College credit is earned at the same time as high school credit
  • College courses are taught at the college level
  • Credit earned for many dual enrolled courses may be applied toward a degree or certificate once the student in enrolled in college
  • Transfer applicable college credit to most 4-year colleges and universities in Virginia

The actual cost of enrolling in a dual enrollment course offered through RCC is determined by the public school division. In some instances, there is little or no actual cost to the student. In all cases, students can save money by earning college credit through the community college.

RCC and the high school determine classes that are offered each semester as dual-enrollment courses. Typically, the dual-enrollment classes offered would be courses taken during a student’s first year of college.

Students who take the RCC placement tests to demonstrate that they are prepared to do college level work (tests for high school dual enrollment course placement can be taken at either campus by appointment or may be scheduled at the local high school).  Students should follow the Steps for Dual Enrollment.

Dual enrollment classes that are designed to transfer to colleges and universities are considered university bound courses and are approved to satisfy the general education core requirement at the college freshman or sophomore level. Download the following agreements with 4-year institutions:

  • Christopher Newport University [PDF]
  • Old Dominion University [PDF]
  • Radford University [PDF]
  • Virginia Wesleyan University [PDF]

Dual enrollment classes are also offered that are job oriented courses. Students should consult with their high school counselor or the RCC high school academic pathway advisor to determine which courses are considered transfer courses.

Students may request that a copy of their RCC transcript be sent to other colleges and universities from the RCC Office of Admissions and Records once coursework is complete. Students can make this request online and also view unofficial transcripts through myRCC.

A dual enrollment course is a college class taught by an instructor who has the degree and credentials to teach at a community college. Upon successful completion of a dual enrollment course, a student is awarded college credit as well as high school credit. A high school transcript and a college transcript are separately generated for each school.

In an Advanced Placement (AP) course, the student must pass a costly standardized exam at the end of the course to receive college credit.

The student benefits! Studies show that those who acquire college credits while still in high school is more likely to continue their education beyond high school.

Families of the high school students benefit! College credits earned during high school help reduce the financial burden of full-time college tuition.

The Commonwealth of Virginia benefits! It avoids unnecessary duplication of facilities and equipment.