Shared Services Courses

Shared Services courses are RCC courses offered in partnership with Northern Virginia Community College (NOVA) and other VCCS Colleges. These courses allow students to earn RCC credit while taking an online course with an online course with another instructor within the VCCS system, as well as use the RCC testing centers to take proctored tests. All Shared Services courses have a section number of D80A or D80B.

As a Shared Service student, you will have access to all the services provided by Northern Virginia Community College or other VCCS Colleges in addition to the resources available to all students at Rappahannock Community College. You will receive an email from the Shared Service Liaison with more information before the course begins.

What will I need to take a Shared Service course?

Shared Service courses are online courses that can be taken anywhere you have internet access, Please review the Online Orientation. Courses utilize Canvas, the VCCS online learning management system, to view course content. All courses will be available in Canvas the first day the class starts. 

Students are required to use their student email ( when communicating with faculty and staff at RCC and other VCCS Colleges.

How do I register for Shared Services courses?

  • If you have never attended RCC Before, Apply to RCC.  If you are a returning student, make sure your information is up to date.
  • Talk with a Navigator to determine which Shared Service Course is for you.
  • Contact to register / enroll in a Shared Services course or for additional information about Shared Services in general.

How do I pay for Shared Services Courses?
Once you register for your Shared Service course(s) it will appear in the Student Information System under your course schedule. You can pay for your course online via the Student Information System or on-campus at the Business Office.

How do I get my course materials?
Textbooks for Shared Services courses are available in the RCC bookstores. You will also have the option of purchasing your course materials on RCC’s online bookstore.

If you are a financial aid student, you will be able to use award money to purchase materials in the RCC bookstores.

Where can I take proctored tests?
Shared Service course(s) require proctored testing during the semester. Students can be proctored at any RCC testing center location or request an off-site proctored location.  During COVID-19, your course may request proctored testing through the Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor

Don’t see what you are looking for? Let us know!

Contact Information:
Shared Services Liaison
Phone: 804-333-6780