Distance Learning at Rappahannock Community College is an education format (course, certificate, degree, or other) that allows a student to complete all or most of his or her program from wherever there is Internet access. Distance Learning courses receive the same credit as a student that completes the program on campus.
Distance Learning — Summer 2018 semester classes:
Starting on May 21, you can take classes in our Summer 2018 semester! Add a class with us this summer, and transfer it back to your four-year school, or begin a program with us.
Admin Support Technology (AST)
- BIO 101 633 General Biology I
- BIO 101 633L General Biology I
- BIO 102 633 General Biology II
- BIO 102 63L General Biology II
- BIO 141 633 Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO 141 63L Human Anatomy and Physiology I
- BIO 142 633 Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO 142 63L Human Anatomy and Physiology II
- BIO 145 633 Human Anatomy & Physiology For Health Sc
- BIO 145 633L Human Anatomy & Physiology For Health Sc
- BIO 150 633 Introductory Microbiology
Communications Studies (CST)
- ENG 111 633 College Composition I
- ENG 111 643 College Composition I
- ENG 111 653 College Composition I
- ENG 112 633 College Composition II
- ENG 112 643 College Composition II
- ENG 112 653 College Composition II
- ENG 210 633 Advanced Composition
- ENG 241 633 Survey of American Literature I
- ENG 242 633 Survey of American Literature II
- ENG 251 633 Survey of World Literature I
Information Technology Networking (ITN)
- MTH 141 633 Business Mathematics I
- MTH 154 633 Quantitative Reasoning
- MTH 155 643 Statistical Reasoning
- MTH 161 633 PreCalculus I
- MTH 162 633 PreCalculus II
- MTH 166 633 Precalculus with Trigonometry
- MTH 166 643 Precalculus with Trigonometry
- MTH 245 633 Statistics I
- MTH 277 633 Multivariable Calculus
- MTH 285 633 Linear Algebra
- MTH 286 633 Discrete Mathematics
- MTH 286 643 Discrete Mathematics
- MTH 291 633 Differential Equations
Practical Nursing (PNE)
Types of Distance Learning Courses at RCC
Most Online Courses are taught via the Internet through Blackboard an online course management tool. All courses require a minimum of two proctored tests at an RCC site.
Hybrid Courses are a blend of traditional and distance learning courses. These courses will use a significant amount of time with course learning online and, as a result, reduce the amount of classroom seat time.
Interactive Video, or “I.V.” for short, courses are more like traditional courses. Class attendance is required; students and faculty interact over high-speed communication lines and televisions.
National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements
Rappahannock Community College is an approved institution of the National Council of State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA).
Policies and Requirements for Distance Learning Courses
Student Academic Grievance Procedure
Students who wish to file a complaint are expected to follow the Student Grievance Process for Academic and Non-Academic. This procedure defines the rights of students in settling problems and differences through an orderly grievance procedure.
Filing a Complaint to SCHEV
As a last resort, students may file a formal complaint with the State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV), this includes all distance learning students from SARA states. Detailed information about SCHEV’s formal student complaint procedure, the types of complaints they will not address, or to file a written “Student Complaint Form” with the agency can be found on the SCHEV Student Complaint.
New Student Orientation
Most online courses will feature their own specific orientation to how the instructor will conduct the class. To view your course orientation login to myRCC and access your Blackboard course if available. All online classes will be available in Blackboard by the first day the course starts, but may also be made available earlier.
If you have questions about any RCC Technology, please contact the Help Desk or call the Technology Office at 804-333-6786.
- Technology Help Desk
- myRCC Help
- Student Information System Help
- Blackboard Video Tutorials
- Blackboard Help
- Student Email Help
For additional questions, please contact the RCC Helpdesk.