Prospective veterans and military-related students at Rappahannock Community College will have an easier time earning credit for prior learning thanks to a new website.
The Credits2Careers Veterans Portal will allow students to upload their Joint Services Transcript to see instantly how their work experience could translate into academic credits at RCC and more than 1,700 other community colleges.
- Access the new veterans portal: https://www.credits2careers.org/
Created by Virginia’s Community Colleges (VCCS), the portal is a personalized virtual counseling tool that provides real-time employment information and enables veterans and service members to explore civilian careers related to their areas of expertise or interest.
Using the portal, users can:
- Explore degrees and non-degree programs and identify which VCCS schools offer them;
- Create a portfolio that includes military experience, including which components can be translated into credit;
- Instantly estimate credit for prior learning from RCC based on information in their electronic portfolio;
- Explore civilian careers related to military training and specialties;
- Access a comprehensive national database of applicable jobs.
Virginia’s Community Colleges served 36,868 veterans and military-related students last year. RCC has been honored as a “Military Friendly School” for 2016 and 2017 by Victory Media, a veteran-owned-and-operated small business.
“Awarding credit for prior learning is something that always sounded better in theory than it was in practice, until today,” said Glenn DuBois, VCCS chancellor. “Military service is increasingly a technical experience. And thanks to the hard work of hundreds of people across our community colleges and other state agencies, we are in a position to reward that in-uniform service in an unprecedented way.”
For additional information about RCC’s veterans services, please visit our veterans site at www.rappahannock.edu/veterans .