The RCC IT Security Office is responsible for providing the services, tools, awareness, and guidance to help facilitate a secure and safe information technology environment for the college.
Most of us depend on our computers and the internet in our daily lives. We routinely use them for email, gathering information from the internet, downloading applications, shopping, sharing pictures and other tasks. Unfortunately, when using a computer connected to the internet, your computer and the data stored on it are at risk of being attacked by viruses, hackers, malware, and spam. It is very important that computer users be proactive and take the steps necessary to help protect their computers and data.
By practicing the tips below, you will greatly reduce threats to your computer and data.
- Use strong passwords;
- Use antivirus software;
- Use a firewall to limit access to your computer from the internet;
- Keep your operating system up to date with vendor security patches and fixes;
- Be careful when opening email attachments;
- Do not click on unsolicited links;
- Dont respond to emails that ask for your sensitive information like: passwords, usernames, SSN, credit card number, or other sensitive details and
- Dont share your passwords with anyone.