Apply Now

Register

Pay

RCC library hosts supervisors

On October 10, the Board of Trustees of the Richmond County Public Library hosted an Open House for the Richmond County Board of Supervisors at Rappahannock Community College’s Warsaw Campus library (with which the Richmond County library shares space). A guided tour celebrating the recently completed renovation of the facility was followed by lunch.

RichmondLibrary-1013

Pictured, left to right: Board of Supervisors candidate Lt. Col. Charles Robert Snavely; Ed Marks, chair of the library’s Board of Trustees; supervisor Richard Thomas; library trustee H. Gwynne Tayloe; Dan Ream, coordinator of RCC’s library and director of the Richmond County Public Library; Courtney Sisson, vice chairman of the Board of Supervisors; Lee Sanders, chairman of the Board of Supervisors; Richmond County administrator Morgan Quicke; and Dayle Collins, vice chair of the Board of Trustees.

Librarian Dan Ream gave the group an introduction to the library’s online resources, including its web site (rcplva.org) and its new Facebook page (facebook.com/rcplva)—“which now has over 200 ‘likes,’ after only a few weeks,” reports Ream. He also described the library’s outreach activities (coordinated by library assistant Ruth Lynn) at the area’s public schools, day care centers, and nursing homes, in addition to events such as the Warsaw Farmer’s Market and the Northern Neck Conservancy’s “Boots and Bar-B-Q” event in September. Since Ream has only recently accepted the position of library director, he also took the opportunity to tell about his background, and his meetings with area school and public librarians as well as the staff of the Library of Virginia.

Among the changes resulting from the renovations is a new Children’s Room, containing more than 5,000 books and videos and featuring murals by local artist Anna Pomoska. Ms. Pomoska attended the meeting to talk about her work on the project.

An agreement between RCC and Richmond County, outlining mutual responsibilities for providing books, material, equipment, administration, and staffing, has been in place since July 1993. Over the 40-year history of the Warsaw Campus, the library has evolved into an outstanding resource for students, faculty, and the general public, with a diverse collection of books, audio-books, and periodicals. There is also a variety of DVDs, including many that are family-friendly, as well as comedies, dramas, and documentaries. The Virginia history collection includes back issues of Warsaw’s Northern Neck News on microfilm, dating to 1879. The library features 12 public-use computers for printing and Internet access.

Comments are closed.

About
Academics
Admissions
Departments
Workforce
Library
Future Students
Current Students
Business & Community
Faculty & Staff
Friends & Alumni