10 Easy Steps to Getting Started with Distance Learning at RCC
- Determine whether you are a candidate for taking a Distance Learning course (Is Distance Learning for Me?)
- Speak with a counselor or distance learning representative if you have questions about the program or need more information before applying to the college.
- Apply for Admissions (please note if you have taken courses at another VCCS school, you will still need to apply to RCC).
- Register for a class. Distance Learning courses are listed in the online course schedule with a section number of 63 and location code of online. After you have applied to the college you will be given a myRCC single signon account. To begin the registration process you will need to locate your username and set your password. To find out more about myRCC, click What is myRCC. When logging into the myRCC single signon you will access the SIS (Student Information System) to register for course. For directions on how to use the SIS system, click here.
- Check the schedule to see if there are any special requirements or meetings for the course. All first-time distance learning students should attend the Distance Learning Orientation.
- Need help with Blackboard, review the Sample Course , FAQ’s or Blackboard tutorials before getting started.
- Attend the Distance Learning Orientation. You will be able to login to myRCC to access your Blackboard course where you will find your syllabus and instructor contact information. All distance learning courses should be available in Blackboard during the Distance Learning Orientation.
- Obtain your textbooks and other required material for your course. You can purchase books online from the RCC Bookstore or on-campus. Bookstores will be open during the Distance Learning Orientation. To locate your book via via the bookstore website locate the course by the course number and section (63) for distance learning courses.
- Login to the myRCC single signon to access your Blackboard course and get started. You should be able to see your Blackboard course on the first day the class meets. For Distance Learning courses that would be on the Distance Orientation date each semester.
- Begin your coursework on the first day of class. Make sure to email your instructor to let them know you are participating in the course or complete your first assignment before the add/drop dates. Instructors can withdrawal students for non-participation during the add/drop deadlines. Make sure you contact your instructors before that date.
What to expect after you apply and register for a Distance Learning Course
- At least two proctored activities during the semester. Students will need to come on-campus (Glenns, Warsaw or King George site) for proctored testing. If you are not located near the RCC campus locations, you can choose to be proctored off-site. Please email your instructor for approval and fill out the Distance Learning Proctor Request Form at least two weeks prior to the first proctored activity.
- Weekly announcements to be posted in Blackboard. Make sure to check your announcements at least twice a week.
- Online quizzes and tests (some will be proctored in the testing centers on-campus. Read over the syllabus so you are prepared for your proctored activities).
- Communicating wit your instructor when help is needed in the course. Don’t wait until the last minute. Make sure you are using the student email when communicating with faculty and staff at RCC. Instructor’s should be responding to your email within 24-48 hrs Monday -Friday.
- Whenever technical help is needed, email the RCC Helpdesk at email@example.com.