Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records:
1. The right to inspect and review your record within 45 days of the date that your request for access is received.
Submit your written request to the Admissions and Records, identifying the record(s) you wish to inspect. The Admissions and Records will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the record may be inspected. If the Admissions and Records does not maintain the record you wish to inspect or review, you will be advised of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
2. The right to request an amendment of your educational record if you believe it is inaccurate or misleading.
You may ask the College to amend a record that you believe is inaccurate or misleading by sending a written request to the College Registrar, clearly identifying the part of the record to change and specifying why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the College decides not to amend the record as requested, you will be notified of the decision in writing and advised of your right to a hearing to consider the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedure will be provided to you when notified of the right to a hearing.
3. The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in your education record, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent. The college does not publish a student directory.
Rappahannock Community College considers the following to be directory information:
- Student’s Name
- Telephone Listing
- Electronic mail address
- Degrees, honors, and awards received
- Major field of study
- Dates of attendance
- Grade level
- The most recent educational agency or institution attended
- Number of credit hours enrolled
- Participation in officially recognized activities and sports
- Weight and height of members of athletic teams
The College reserves the right to refuse requests for the release of directory information. Any student who wishes may send a written request to the College Registrar’s Office that the college not release any directory information to outside entities.
Exception permitting disclosure without consent: Disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. A school official is described as follows: A person employed by the College in an administrative, supervisory, academic, research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff) ; a person or company with whom the College has contracted, such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent; a person serving on the Board of Trustees or a student serving on an official committee, such as disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the College discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student intends to enroll.
In addition, to comply with the Solomon Amendment, the college is required to supply student names, addresses, phone listing, date/place of birth, level of education, and degrees received to military recruiters.
4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failure by Rappahannock Community College to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is: Family Policy Compliance Office U.S. Department of Education 600 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, DC 20202-4605
Written requests are accepted by postal mail or fax. Please send to Admissions and Records Office or College Registrar at either campus:
For additional information, please refer to the online Student Handbook at http://www.rappahannock.edu/catalog/student-handbook/student-records.
Page last updated: June 5, 2013